Translate

Monday, August 20, 2012

Synergy in the Park

This weekend I found myself wondering what I had missed by not going to the park each morning.  Last night, it became clear how important a park has become to me.  During the mist of the early evening rain at Brooks Park in Chickasaw, Alabama, and having to determine whether to have an indoor or outdoor concert, I was able to sit silently for a few moments and reflect on the beauty that nature had given me right then. The trees whispered quietly, as Frisbee golf players meandered nearby hurling their discs in the air hoping they fall close to the pin. 

While the quiet drops of the rain dotted my hair, the sun peeked through the gray clouds.  That was my sign from the universe.  Concert outside.  And that was a great decision.  With almost 100 people in attendance and setting along the hillside and on the bleachers, we listened to the flamenco fusion sounds of Roman Street Trio from Mobile, AL.  These three young men energized the audience with their new brand of flamenco style music.  You could see people moving in their seats and wanting to get up and dance. The grass was too wet for anyone to dance without sliding or falling, but moving your body was the way to express one's self last night. 

A great majority of the crowd were first time listeners of the band.  Roman Street has a huge following here in the Southeast, so I was surprised that more fans did not attend.  Yes, the rain in the south does keep people away. And, today is the first day of the 2012 school year for children in South Alabama.  That still did not stop many people from coming.  It was a great musical festivity for all of us.



One of the evening's activities was signing a scroll that will be placed in the Mobile County's bicentennial time capsule.  Young and old alike signed the scroll.  It will be fun to see who was here and who signed 50 years from now.  If the universe sees it, I will be 101 in 50 years but won't be living here.  Either way, I can watch it from here on earth or from a higher level!



It has been an interesting challenge this year to be a part of a wonderful event such as the 200th birthday celebration for Mobile County.  Although my volunteer time over the past 10 years has been sustained through my company, it has been an amazing lesson-learning experience to be part of this legacy.

My volunteer work started when I was in elementary school.  My grandmothers always volunteered for the church and I remember going with them to take meals to people and visiting the sick at the hospital or preparing food for a family who had a friend or family member die.  I remember helping in the community as a Brownie and Girl Scout and 4-H member.  Service has been part of my DNA since birth. And, it has been a part of more than 50 years of my life.

As a behaviorist, it is amazing to watch people volunteer their time and observe their behavior in meetings, at events and listen to the language they use when talking about their volunteer work.  You learn quickly by observation who really cares enough about the cause or who really cares more about his or her self.  I sit in meetings and listen to committee members talk about "what is in it for me" or "we need to be honored with a party for all the work" or "I got my name and picture in the newspaper".  Sad to think that most volunteers are more than willing to give time and talent and money without any thought of accolades or thank you.

There are those people who volunteer just because they know their purpose is to serve others.  And they do it well.  People do not stop and think when they speak that their words or actions, or lack of actions, might hurt someone's feelings or that they are speaking negatively without thinking.  Image that concept!  For every person whom I have observed that behavior, may the time come when you need help that you honor those who have given their time to assist, and not say mean things or gripe about the quality of service you receive.  Volunteers are priceless to churches, community groups and organizations.  Don't take the time of a volunteer lightly.

Frustration sets in when committees are formed and volunteers stop coming to meetings, stop giving of their time and then complain when things don't get done.  Or do not take the time to learn what is going on before they speak.  Or the craziest is to rehash decisions made or spend time at a meeting complaining and being part of the problem and not part of the solution.  In my 50 years of volunteer service, things have not changed in the volunteer world!  (Newsflash:  Volunteers are the lifeline of our nation and global community.)

So, my time in the park last night clarified so much for me in terms of what my lifestyle is going to be.  I am always there to lend a hand and help when needed.  But, I have learned that it is ok to say NO and not volunteer, to set priorities on time and causes, and to do what I want to do serve humankind.  God and the universe have blessed me with so much that I have shared HOURS upon HOURS for organizations all over the world.  I would not change an hour of that time I committed to serving others.

This past week, I have been simplifying my files and have found years of volunteer memorabilia.  I am compiling a legacy book of all that I have done for my next two books - one on volunteering and one on business case studies.  So, as the year goes around I will share a case study in my blog with my audience.  Hopefully, you will be able to relate to what happened or smile and laugh as you learn of the antics of a lifelong volunteer.  I think that has been my major career path all these years.  Thanks to my mother and grandmothers for this legacy!

Amazing what a few hours in the park will clarify - synergy in the park at its best.
 

Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment