Translate

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Synergy of Self

Today is the 7th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina and its marked incidents on the coast of Mississippi and Alabama.  I don't include Louisiana as the storm did not land in New Orleans.  The aftermath of the storm in New Orleans came from their levies not being able to handle the water that hurled itself over the embankments and flooded the entire city.  So many media and government entities, including the citizens of Louisiana, have touted their horrible tragedies based on Hurricane Katrina.  Yet, the storm did not go there. 

Ask the people of Waveland, MS, where the storm first set ground.  Ask the people along the Gulf Coast region whose homes were destroyed by the storm, where entire communities were gone. They have been the forgotten ones over these last six years.  And, yet, the media still can't remember anything about Hurricane Katrina that makes sense.  Mississippi is more than a 'land mass.'  The Gulf Coast people are honest and hard working individuals, who love the land and their community, who are kind and considerate, who are sad with you and happy with you, and smile just to say hello.  They deserve more credit than they have gotten from the media this week.

However, during this time I have taken the chance to reflect on my life - my choices, my family, my friends, my path, my journey - and to remember where and how it all began.  This is where I am today.  As I was going through a box of San Francisco 49er collectible memorabilia to send to a new 49er friend in California, I found some clips and photos from my youth. A photo to help promote the county 4-H, a photo from a day in the park as a playground supervisor, and I look at who I was and realized that the facial expressions did not make sense.  The photos are funny in nature and I wanted to share them with you, to remind you to remind yourself to remember your childhood, the days when you were involved with others and what you did.

Oh, yes, this is where my career in journalism and self-promotion began.  One of the first concepts in journalism is public relations.  I learned early on - before classes - that self-promotion did get you column inches in the local newspaper.  Each time I was elected to a committee or organization, or volunteered for something, I would write my own press release and send the information, along with a photo, to my local newspaper.  I now have column inches from my first PR gig.  It worked then; it works now.

Our youth do not get enough promotion for the great things they do.  We need to tell them daily how much they are loved for their enthusiasm and community service.  Would it not be great if the local news media had a special section that honors and promotes the talents and gifts of service of our young people?  Would it not be cool to talk about something so happy?  What a world of difference it would be.

On that note, I share with you my photos and will write a short note about each event.  What have you done with your youth?  Take it off the shelf.  Remember who you were then; honor it.  Remember who you are not; honor you.  Share who you were with your children and grandchildren.  You have a story to tell.  Tell lit today.

This photo dates me. It was 1960s and I was helping the Muskingum County 4-H promote a new program.  The two men I remember are Charlie Knotts (left) and Ivan Archer (second left) and me (with the bow) and an unidentified man.  Charlie Knotts was my neighbor and the 4-H Extension Director.  We were at a conference and I remember they needed someone to help in the photo.  I volunteered and photo was taken.  Didn't I look cute with my pink dress and hairbow?  Yes, I remember what I wore that night.  It was a two piece blouse and skirt!  Oh, yes, the glasses were the hottest thing that year!  No way!  Oh, yes, my hair was dish water blonde - that ugly color that didn't even have a pretty descriptive name.  I want to see Crayola Crayons make a color in that hue!!!!!


Now, we move onto 1970.  I spent two summers as a playground supervisor for the Zanesville City Parks & Recreation Department.  It was fun, as I got to create activities for kids of all ages.  This was taken during a story telling time.  No, I was not angry.  There was a small boy who was not being nice and saying bad things while the story was being read.  The photographer caught me giving him 'my look.'  Yes, I had the look even then.  And it worked well for me in later years as an educator.  By then, my hair was blonde and I had spent one year in college.  That job started just weeks after the May 4, 1970, social revolution incident at Kent State University.  Unfortunately, I was to leave that job by the end of June, as I had been threatened by a 21 year old man who served time and was not to be around children.  The word 'sex offender' was not in any vocabulary.  He threatened to bring a gun to the playground and take care of me.  I didn't want to leave my job as I loved it, but the Parks Director and my mother thought it best.  I remember thinking that I was not afraid of him; his threat didn't bother me.  Who knew?  So, here is the photo that was so comical when it came out that week.  Oh, well, at least my hair was straight.  I had wavy hair and it took time in the morning with BIG rollers to get it straight. 







And, then there was college.  I was really happy to be involved in campus activities and my sorority, Gamma Sigma Sigma, a service sorority.  And, I was proud of volunteering my time for campus events. So, I wrote the release and sent it to the local newspapers.  It was printed in two local papers.  This was just one of many that I wrote during college to help promote my activities.  I realize that many people think self-promotion may not be good, but throughout the years I have learned that you need to be proud of what your gifts and talents are. of the service you give to your community, and that it is ok to talk about what you do, and have done.  My community involvement and accomplishments have helped in my career path and have helped me in my journey as a community advocate and activist.  Leaving a legacy of volunteerism and commitment to service is my goal.  And so it is.

There are so many more memories that I have set aside as I am writing my book and will share it later blogs.  For now, remember to remember.  It is fun.  Life is like hair color - trying new colors and new things creates a variety in life - and 'variety is the spice of life.'  So, get out there and experience new things.  Do what you want to do but keep telling yourself you can't do it.  YES YOU CAN.  

Do something different today.  Do something to bring the Synergy of Self to yourself. 

Namaste and Ahimsa,

Sher




   

No comments:

Post a Comment